Sunday, May 20, 2012

Owen’s Last Week of Pre-school

May 17, 2012 053

This past week was Owen’s last week of Pre-school for the 2011-2012 school year. He was super excited about the last two days because of the activities planned; but when I told him that he wouldn’t be going to school for about 2.5 months he was devastated. Poor kid, I hope you always have this passion and excitement for school. Hey, one can dream!?!?

So I guess its time for a little reflection. Brandon and I were a bit iffy about putting Owen in pre-school this past year because we were not sure he really needed 2 years of pre-school compared to just 1 year? I’m sure this is the first of many iffy decision we are going to have to make for our children. After going back and forth and weighing out the pros and cons, we decided to go ahead with it and give him 2 years of Pre-school. Looking back I am 100% positive that we made the right decision for Owen. He has grown so so much over this past school year. His social skills has improved so much and seeing his little school friendships blossom was absolutely priceless. There is no doubt that Owen was academically well off before he entered into pre-school, but he ended up learning so much this past year. More than I ever expected or anticipated. He is now reading at a kindergarten level and is constantly impressing us with everything he knows. The kid has an insane photographic memory that I wish so badly that I had. He got excellent reviews from his teacher about how well Owen did over the past year. Her best comment was that Owen loves to learn new things and focuses and pays attention really well during her lessons. Her only negative comment was that Owen needs to work on his patience, and anyone who knows Owen very well will have no problem agreeing with that comment. Especially Brandon and I. So the goal for the summer is to work on some patience with this crazy kid. Lol. Hard when he has two stubborn, hard headed and impatient parents huh? I can not explain how grateful I am to God for blessing me with such an amazingly intelligent, handsome, loving and funny little boy who has an incredible love for the Lord and for the people in his life.

Ok, so with his 4th Birthday coming on Wednesday, I am going to stop there because I am sure there is much more reflections of my sweet boy coming very soon. I am having a very hard time thinking that my baby boy is almost 4, as in F-O-U-R years old! Ahhh. Alright, onto some fun pictures from his last two day of school.

************************************

Tuesday

As I mentioned in a previous blog, Tuesday was Pajama Day at school. Owen was so excited because they got to watch a movie and eat popcorn in their pj’s. Nothing better for a 4 year old. Nothing.  Here he is all ready to go to school in his jammies…

1st Day of Preschool! Aug 2011 004May 17, 2012 007

Here is a comparison side by side above and below. Left: Owen’s 1st day of Pre-school, Right: Owen’s Last Day of Pre-school. If your are thinking, “wow, what a handsome looking kid” I am totally with you!

1st Day of Preschool! Aug 2011 014May 17, 2012 010

**************************************

Thursday

On Thursday, there was no actual school, but the school was having an end of the year picnic for all the returning 3 year olds. Well, we are a bit unsure if he will actually be returning to the same school next year with our future housing situation still up in the air, but we did attend the picnic anyway. They had a big bot luck style lunch for the parents and their kids and they had the playground open for all the students and siblings to play on. They had all the kids who last name beginning with A-L bring a main meat dish and salad and all the M-Z names bring a vegetable side and a dessert. It all came together great. I took Ham & Spinach Pinwheels and Grape Salad with Granola Topping. Yum! It was so much fun and a perfect way to end the school year!

May 17, 2012 031May 17, 2012 038

Here are the kiddos playing at the AWESOME play ground at his school. I don’t think I was fully aware how amazing the playground actually is there. No wonder Owen talked about it all the time!

May 17, 2012 032May 17, 2012 036May 17, 2012 039

Here are a few of Owen’s very good friends and classmates; Left: Jacob, Middle: Kaitlin, and Right: Joaquin. Such great friends!!!

May 17, 2012 049

Autumn could’ve jumped on this trampoline all day long! I think she is going to be our little gymnast one day! She loves to tumble and jump and has some seriously good upper body strength.

May 17, 2012 040May 17, 2012 041

The giant potluck all set up inside the fellowship hall.

May 17, 2012 045May 17, 2012 043

Enjoying the goods. Check out the awesome rainbow cupcake Owen got for dessert. Such creative Mom’s.

May 17, 2012 051

Mrs. Frances & Owen. I am truly grateful for this patient sweet women who had the honor of being Owen’s first teacher ever. She was such a perfect fit for Owen and he just simply adores her! Thank you again Mrs. Frances for all you do and for pouring every bit of you into each and every child in your class.  You touch so many lives and I will forever be grateful to you for Loving and Caring for my child!

And just a little side note. It is an amazingly wonderful feeling when both potluck items you brought were gone in seconds….

May 17, 2012 054

This grape salad was a hit for sure. I think about 20+ people asked me for the recipe. I normally make it with pecans on top, but since the school is a No Nut school I substituted the pecans for cinnamon granola and it was to die for!!!!!! So glad every one enjoyed.

Congratulations my sweet Owen Michael Burgess for successfully completing your first year of pre-school. Mommy and Daddy could not possibly be any more proud of you. You are an amazing little boy and we are so thankful for you! Love you bunches!

No comments: