Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Wow, can you believe Thanksgiving has come and gone? Not sure about you but I am kind of starting to panic that Christmas is going to be here in less than a month now. Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with lots of food and awesome company of family and friends. Since Owen is at an age where his brain is like a sponge soaking up all the information of the world, I am trying to use everything and every holiday as a learning opportunity. I think we as adults tend to overlook the true meaning of holidays because we are just simply too busy to draw in and focus on why we are celebrating. So thanks to my 2 year old son I am really trying to focus in this holiday and get down to the true meaning of things. Thanksgiving, wow what a wonderful holiday it truly is. But why on earth do we only choose 1 out of the 365 days in a year to Give Thanks to God? Shouldn't this be a daily ritual for us as Christians? Look at all the many verses in the Bible where we are clearly instructed to give thanks:


"We tell God our problems, making our requests known to Him with thanksgiving." Philippians 4:6

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God." Thessalonians 5:18

"Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most high" Psalms 50:14

"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High" Psalms 92:1

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." Colossians 3:17

"Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence." Psalms 140:1

And these are just a few verses I picked out. Do you see a trend in all these verses? We are clearly called, by God, to "Give Thanks" in all circumstances. I see no where that it says to choose one day to do this. So Brandon and I sat Owen down to remind him that today we were focusing in on the things we are thankful for. We gave him examples like family, friends, food, a warm home, etc. Then we asked him what he was thankful for to get him involved. He was very excited and began to tell us all the things he was thankful for. Here is a small list; His Trains, His TV, His Books, the wall, the Carpet, the lights, cars, cake, candy etc. As he gets older our hope is that the things he is thankful for gets a little more meaningful other than just things, but really he is only 2. O' to be a child again. Our day was wonderful. We spent it with my parents and my sister who joined us a little later in the evening for some delicious Pumpkin Cheese Cake she made. Yummy. Enjoy some pictures from our day.Owen and Autumn all dressed up for the day. They are so adorable! Autumn with her Nana & Pampo
Owen & DaddyAutumn & Mommy
The festive table all set. Like my awesome fire candle? My BFF got it for me from Durango for my B-Day. I love it, it even crackles like a real fire.
Yummy!
Owen absolutely loved all the delicious food, especially the cranberry salad.
We started feeding Autumn solids this week, mainly just rice cereal, but since all of us got to eat yummy food I made some homemade sweet potatoes for her. She wasn't quite sure what to think, but overall I think she liked them. Our good friend Gavin joined us too. He doesn't have family in town so we normally adopt him for the holidays.
Me and My Hunny!
My beautiful parents.
Me, My sissy & My niece Abigail. Come out already!

No comments: