Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Owen’s 1st set of Stitches :(

In case you missed my last post from about 2 hours ago, we are moving to Denver in 17 days.

As f if moving isn’t enough, Owen had his first pretty traumatic experience last night. So we went over to our good friend’s, Todd & Christy’s (McKenzie’s parents), house yesterday to swim and have dinner together. Trying to spend as much time together as possible before we leave. The kids and I got there about 4pm. Brandon had a dentist appointment yesterday so he met the kids and I there when he was done around 5:30pm. The kids and I got in the pool immediately after arriving and swam with Christy, McKenzie, Hannah and Cami and Brandon joined in when he got there. Around 6pm Todd got home from work and it was time to eat dinner. Christy made some delicious Tacos, Fruit Salad and Chips and Queso. The kids got out of the pool to eat dinner and then they got right back in. My point here is that the kids were in the pool basically from 4 O'clock on. After dinner while the kids were swimming with Kenzie, Hannah and Cami, Christy and I were busy cleaning up and getting dessert out. We sat down to eat the super yummy Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting that I brought for dessert at about 8:10pm. While we were sitting by the fire pit enjoying dessert we heard a really loud scream. The kids had been getting in and out of the pool and the hot tub all day long no problem. Well the scream came directly after Owen was exiting the hot tub. They have an above ground hot tub and there is a two step step stool to get in and out of it. As he was getting out of the hot tub for about the 50th time that afternoon, he missed the step and slipped out and smacked his chin on a paver stone that leads from the hot tub to the patio. I dropped my cake and immediately ran over to him and noticed blood. My first thought was that he knocked out a tooth. I ran inside to get a paper towel and realized the blood was coming from a large gash in his chin. I immediately applied lots of pressure to stop the bleeding. When I pulled back the paper towel we all finally saw how deep the gash was. We all agreed that it needed some medical attention immediately. I can’t lie, I was frantic. Christy quickly put a call into After Hours Pediatrics to see if they could do the stitches so we could avoid a trip to the ER. We left Autumn with the Cook Family and rushed Owen to the doctors.

When we arrived at After Hour’s (so thankful we didn’t have to go the the ER) they called him right back since Christy had already checked him in over the phone. The nurse came in and immediately started rinsing out the wound to avoid any type of infection from occurring. Owen was a CHAMP and didn’t shed a single tear as she was pouring water into his open wound. The doctor came in to take a look and confirmed that he did in fact need to get it stitched up because the cut was so deep into the skin. He stepped out to get all his equipment and a nurse to assist. At this point I was very sick to my stomach and was on the verge of fainting. I know, I’m a wuss, especially when it comes to seeing my child in this position because I knew it was going to be scary for him. The doctor and nurse came in and started the shots of Novocain strait into the open wound. It was painful to watch, but again Owen was being a CHAMP. He didn’t start crying until the last mL of Novocain was being injected. He seriously shocked me how well he handled the whole situation. Once he was all numbed up, the doc started the stitches. He was great and stayed super still and didn’t make a peep as the doctor was sewing up his poor chin. He got a total of 4 stitches and some glue. They were going to do 5 stitches but decided on 4 because the Novocain was wearing off so he glued the last part. Owen again did not cry until the very last stitch and I think it was a combination of being completely exhausted, pain, and wanting it over. My poor baby. I have a big feeling this will be the first round of many stitches to come if he is anything like his Daddy was as a kid. It was a sad ending to our absolutely wonderful day!!!!

(The Pictures below may be a bit graphic, but I want to document this, sorry)

061920121718

So I took these on my not so great phone camera, but you get the picture. Poor kid, it was soooooo deep!

061920121719

He was so concerned that he didn’t have a shirt or shoes on. Lol. We had no time, I grabbed my purse and we were out the door. Owen and I were both in our swim suits, luckily I had a cover on. I can not explain how brave he was through everything. The doctor and nurse said he did so much better than a lot of their teenage patients. Way to go son. Must have Daddy’s pain tolerance.

 061920121721

Poor baby looks so exhausted after swimming for 4 strait hours. I do have to brag for a minute, Owen was swimming without floaties!!!!! McKenzie convinced Owen to take his floaties off since he was swimming so well. He finally agreed to take them off and we were all SHOCKED that he could actually do it. He can even stay under water for 10-15 seconds at a time. He amazes me everyday!

061920121723

Terrible picture, I know, but there it is all stitched up. He was pretty stocked about the Toy Story Sticker he got at the end.

After he got all taken care of we were headed back to pick up poor Autumn at 10pm which was a good 2.5 hours past her normal bedtime. I was praying she behaved herself for them while we were away.

061920121725062020121729

Autumn got thoroughly pampered by 3 girls ages 16, 13 and 9. She got a nice bubble bath, her hair was in a pony tail, she was wearing Cami’s PJ’s (good thing Cami is a tiny 9 year old, lol) and her toe nails were painted! Haha, she didn’t have a second to miss us.

By 10:30pm we were all home and in bed completely exhausted. Owen asked me to sleep with him, 1st time in 4 years (except for infant days). It was one of the sweetest moments having my baby boy fall asleep in my arms after his 1st traumatic experience. Such precious time with me and my boy that I will never forget! Ill take a picture next week when he gets his stitches out, he has to keep them in for 7 days. Good thing the scar is going to be on his chin where it will not be so visible. Guess he has a good lasting scar to remember New Mexico before we move.

A HUGE thanks to the Cook family for opening up your home to us and for taking such great care of Autumn while we were taking care of our boy. We LOVE you guys so much. This is a perfect example of a family that can NEVER be replaced. We will miss you guys more than words can ever express! Can’t wait for your trip up to Denver to visit us. LOVE YOU guys!!!!!!!

No comments: